We are aware of several curiosity about charlemagne, one of the greatest rulers of Middle Ages.
Some of them may seem trivial, but personally I have always been convinced that nothing really is when it refers to a historical figure; every anecdote, even the smallest, it helps to reconstruct its personality and action.
Here is one series of curiosities about Charlemagne that I found reading here and there in historical books and magazines:
- had the shrill voice, which not only contrasted enormously with his own body size (see also https://www.pilloledistoria.it/10562/medioevo/il-fisico-super-di-carlo-magno) ma, according to sources, it even made an impression
- sick of gotta, he refused to go on a diet, aggravating his health and hastening his death (he writes it Eginardo)
- it is said that it was a man easy going, ironic and able to play jokes
- I loved to dress in a simple and practical way. He used to scold those who spent too much to buy precious silks of oriental origin
- for the Franks to have concubines was the norm and Charlemagne was no exception. Being a Christian did not prevent him from having adulterous relationships. Apparently he had a real one harem, women ready to satisfy all his carnal desires (photo: saturniatellus.com).